The Student News Site of Journeys in Journalism at John Hopkins Middle School

J. Hop Times

J. Hop Times

J. Hop Times

J. Hop Times

International journalists drop-in for a visit at JHop

“Hos geldin.”

This was the greeting a group of Turkish Journalists saw when they walked into Ms. Pink’s classroom last week as part of an exchange program involving international visitors and John Hopkins journalism students. The phrase means “welcome.”

The visitors were: Ms. Semrel Asci, owner and founder, starkocaeli.com (online news outlet); Mr. Mehmet Ceylan, president of the Southeastern Journalists Association; Mr. Akif Ozdemir, journalist with the Demiroren News Agency; Mr. Aydogan Tezcan, Bursa representative, Hurriyet Newspaper; and Mr. Bulent Velioglu, president of the Bolu Journalists Association.

Their visit was a part of the International Visitor Leadership Program, which aims to strengthen U.S engagement with other countries around the world and cultivate lasting relationships by connecting current and emerging foreign leaders, according to the IVLP program website.

The group visited New York and Washington, D.C. before visiting Florida. The journalists were accompanied by two interpreters who helped them communicate with the students.

International journalists from Türkiye talk with student journalists during a visit to John Hopkins Middel School as part of the International Visitor Leadership Program.

The students asked about journalism in Türkiye. Journalists shared many differences such as a lack of press freedoms.

“First of all, we can’t relay information freely.” Ms. Asci said, “The difference is press freedom.”

Additionally, journalism is given at college level but not many colleges offer it, Mr. Velioglu said.

Mr. Tezcan elaborated that journalism classes are offered in high school but there are only certain classes you can take. High school offers video classes, photojournalism, television journalism and radio.

Another difference is the new law passed on misinformation in Türkiye. Journalists can spread true news only.

Mr. Velioglu said to not spread fake news because “it’s an ugly thing.”

Students also asked the journalists about Türkiye’s different cultures, food, and religion.

When asked about how the war with Ukraine and Russia affected the citizens in Türkiye due to them being close neighbors, Mr. Ozdemir said, “all wars in the Middle East affect our country.”

Mr. Velioglu added that Ukraine and Russia are neighbors to Türkiye. And Türkiye borders the Middle East.

Türkiye is not at war right now despite a conflict with a terrorist group. Mr. Velioglu added that Türkiye only wants peace, and no children dying is the goal.

Mr. Ozdemir told the class that “Journalists are the real heroes.”

“Journalists give power to the people and advocate for those who cannot,” he said. “Journalists play such a significant role in our daily life.”