J.Hop Dance is not cancelled, but it’s definitely not the same

J.Hop dance classes have to be flexible when dealing with the virus.

De'nasia Johnson | JHT

8th grader Mali Weinberg poses in her socially-distance square during rehearsal.

Lilianna Randolph, JHT Staff Writer

Dancing can be very intense on the body, and there can be lots of sweating and breathing. This may be the most perfect breeding ground for the coronavirus, which spreads through droplets in the air.  

John Hopkins Middle School is a Magnet School with dance as one of its main programs. How is dance done safely here? According to Dreama Davidson, adjunct teacher for the Dance Department, their main goal is safety and hygiene. It’s not always easy for dancers who learned how to dance before the pandemic.

“It’s been a big adjustment, being a dancer for over 25 years, then having to dance with this mask on your face. If I were in middle school right now, it would also be a huge adjustment.”

She says it has been a big challenge to balance safety and instruction. All classes have a very strict rundown of activities for the dance session, and they take more mask breaks. 

J.Hop dance teachers have created new conditioning techniques to face the reality of COVID-19. Ms. Davidson says these adjustments can be tough on young dancers especially. 

“You have to change your endurance, take breaks and stay hydrated. The teachers try to be an example,” Davidson says.

So far, J.Hop dancers haven’t let it get them down. They still plan on performing a spring recital, even if it is a livestream with no in-person attendance.